Do you know the nation that monkey's acting are everything allowed? You can see such phenomenon in the town of Lopburi, Thailand. There is a reason why I chose this book. When I opened it first and turned some pages, I saw some pictures of monkeys. They were very naughty. They drunk a bottle of water of human's, climbed buildings, walked streets, ate many luxurious foods. Why are they living in human society? Can they live well with human? I thought many times.
In Thailand, people believes a old legend. It's about a monkey hero, "Hanuman". Rama is a king and he has a wife. But demon (a bad spirit) aimed Rama's wife. Then Hanuman saved Rama's wife and he was respected as a hero. That is why many people especially kind to monkeys. They sometimes disturbed people's life, but people allowed them.
Every day of the year, people gave foods for monkeys in shrines. It also effected Buddhist traditions.
They were treated special and monkeys are gradually increasing every year. People hold monkey party once in every year. On the party, monkeys ate special foods! They live more luxury life than people.
After I read, I was surprised so big. In Japan, some people are suffering monkey's act. In the country place, they ruin fields or many crops. Some monkeys run streets and they are injuring people. These are serious problems. In the zoo, they are cute, I know. But once I step in forests, they are fierce. We hates monkeys but as people in Lopburi, monkeys are special. It is own traditional. However we should understand different cultures. We knew the background history, and we try to share each cultures.
Reference: Waring, Rob. (2008). Monkey party. Boston: Footprint Reading Library.
[313 words]

No comments:
Post a Comment